NaNoWriMo Novel: The Redactor

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Is a first draft like a first bullet?

Just finished the first draft of a detective novel, tentatively titled Strawman Made Steel. Needless to say I feel a mixture of elation and exhaustion. (And hunger, but that could just be normal.)

Tonight's editing only involved patching up the odd hole, marked in the manuscript by the very descriptive ??. The last ?? I had to patch was a reference to George Orwell's description of what it was like to be shot.



I leave you with an excerpt, and a link to the full passage. It's fascinating.

There seemed to be a loud bang and a blinding flash of light all around me, and I felt a tremendous shock - no pain, only a violent shock, such as you get from an electric terminal; with it a sense of utter weakness, a feeling of being stricken and shriveled up to nothing.
 Sounds a bit like finishing a first draft. You know the pain is coming... ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment